Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Haiti Mission Possible: Day 11

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 – Today, I helped out around the ministry by babysitting Darlenz (DaDa); he’s one of the rescue center kids that require one-on-one attention because of his unique case. A long-term volunteer from the states, Anna (she is 21, and this is her second long-term trip as a volunteer in Haiti within three years), has been giving him that care, but she also serves as a home-school teacher to Licia’s three sons and today she was needed to focus on the boys, but she was also reluctant to leaving DaDa in the rescue center, because he is so weak. I’m so happy I volunteered to take on the assignment for a few hours.

DaDa is the most adorable boy, but his story is so sad. He was brought to the rescue center after the earthquake; both his parents were killed during the earthquake and an aunt brought him to the center to get him the proper help (apparently he was malnourished even before the earthquake). That aunt has not been back since and a 16 year-old sister has been by to visit him once in the 5 months he’s been there. They believe DaDa is 3 years old, and only weighs 16 pounds. He’s only gained 5 pounds since being at the center (he was 11 pounds when he arrived), and they do not believe he is going to make it long term. They believe his problems are far more than just the malnourishment, but they have not come up with any specific diagnosis. In just a few hours, I grew attached to this little boy; he has the greatest smile and is so loving, but it breaks my heart seeing how sick he is.

I also got to spend some time with Denny (I talked about him in a previous post) and Joel; they are the two oldest kids currently in the rescue center. They often get overlooked for attention because they appear pretty normal on the outside and there are plenty of little kids that need holding. They were jumping all over me, and though I was tired and they were heavy, these few minutes of being uncomfortable paled in comparison to the joy that was on their faces because I was focused on them. They are just one of the many reasons why this project is so important and needs to be made a reality. The ministry wants to give them and all the children a better facility, and I’m so happy to be a part of realizing this vision.

I was so excited about coming here to Haiti, but on the eve of my return home to the U.S., I’m a bit sad…I’m not sure I’m ready to go. Yes, I can’t lie; I want to get home and see my family and friends, eat ice cream, continue my job search, take a shower, wash my hair and watch T.V., but I’d be willing to stay longer. I don’t believe I’ve gotten everything I’m supposed to get from Haiti yet; there’s still so much I have to see and experience…



3 comments:

  1. Hey Ronnie, I am very touched by your mission in Haiti. This is a wonderful cause that you’re doing and I pray for continued success and growth of your mission. Have a safe return home. As time permits, please contact me upon your return home so I can gather more information for contributions. I am so proud of you Ronnette. May God continue to bless you and your family.
    Natasha Jean (msnjean1999@aol.com or natasha_jean@sheriff.org)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud of you Ronnie! I think you're doing an excellent job with this cause and mission. May God continue to open doors for continued success.

    Take care!
    Malik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasha and Malik,

    Thank you for the encouragement and kind words; it means so much to me.

    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete